Well, I have to admit...my blog is severely neglected...and I have resolved to fix this!! I am a little late in joining the crowd over at ScrapMatters...but I figure that I don't really have anything to lose. Heather (Haynay) has started this blogging challenge (actually, it started about a month ago) and I figured that I'd just jump in now...if nothing else, at least my blog will be updated more often!!
So here goes:
I'm Natasha Cruz...soon to be Johnson again...long story, that you can read earlier in my blog. I am a mother, daughter, sister, aunt, friend, lover, scrapper, baller and physio. I am a Canadian, through and through...and although I'm tired of winter as of this moment...I have to say that I love being back home!! That's all I'm going to say in my introduction...otherwise, I might not have any interesting facts to add later...
I took this picture of myself about 2 weeks ago...this is often the only way that I actually have proof that I do exist, as I'm usually the picture taker...
Now 15 interesting facts...hmmm...well, at least I think that they're kind of interesting...
1. I am the second child of a family of 5...there are 4 girls and then my little brother (often called the forgotten brother in our posts...sorry Darren, we really don't forget you!!). And I have to say that my family is really close, I mean, we love getting together as often as we can...and I know for a fact that any one of my siblings has my back whenever I need it...for whatever...and they know that I would be there for them in a heartbeat if they ever needed me.
2. I am a single mom of 3...I separated from my husband of 10 years about a year ago (hence the last name going back to Johnson). At that time I didn't think that I would be able to make it...but that close family that I talked about before? They were there to pick me up...literally...3 weeks after we decided to split, my older sister, her husband and my brother drove from Vancouver to Monterey, California...helped me pack up my house and brought me back home.
3. After 15 years of living in sunny, warm California...I moved back home to Northern British Columbia with my 3 kiddos. People call me crazy...but I call this home. As I said before, I am a Canadian, through and through...I have ALWAYS wanted to move back here...just didn't have the opportunity until recently. And although I do have to wear a parka, winter boots, mitts, scarves and toques for half of the year...there is NO WAY that I would ever consider moving back down to California...you can keep your year round sunshine and +40 degree weather...I'll take the snow and cold if it means that I get to be with my family again :)
4. I got a full-ride basketball scholarship to play down in San Jose State University, NCAA Div 1. That's how this girl from small town PG ended up in the big Silicon Valley. My team didn't do very well, but I rocked it...when I left school, I was 7th on the all time scoring list...and I believe that I am still in the top ten for most of the scoring records...plus I got a free education...really, how can you top that?!
5. After 5 years and 3 kiddos...I decided to go back to school to get my Masters of Physical Therapy. Yup, that's right...I had 3 kids all under the age of 5 when I went back to that crazy program called Physical Therapy...and I mean CRAZY!!! Plus, my husband at the time was working and living 3 hours away...so he was only there during the weekends. So I was a single mom of 3, going through PT school...and I am proud to say that I rocked it again!!! I'm talking a 3.96 GPA...yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself for that.
6. I'm in love...again...I know, I'm a sucker for love!! For those of you who know me, or follow this blog...you know that after I split with my husband, I had a BF last year...and that he dumped me on New Years - yeah...he was a real winner. Well, one thing that I didn't do was sit around and mope and wait for him to come back (at least not for long). Erika and Rachel (my 2 younger sisters) made sure of that...they absolutely would not even let me think of getting back together with my ex...plus I had the wolf pack to help carry me through...LOL!!! And it didn't take long to find someone new...and can I say that he is FABULOUS!!! I'll have to introduce him later on...keep you coming back for more...LOL!!
7. I love sports...basketball mostly...but I will watch any sporting event...and I have to admit, that I'm pretty knowledgeable about most sports. Funny story...one of the first times that I stayed over at my new BF's place was during NFL playoffs. Well, we were snoozing and all of a sudden I sat straight up in bed, asked what time it was and then loudly stated that I had to leave because I had to go watch a football game. My new guy was like "What?! You're leaving to go watch football?!" And we ended up spending the day snuggling on the couch, watching playoff games...I think that I had him hooked from that point ;)
8. I still play basketball...and what's even better is that I get to play with my 2 sisters that live in PG with me. I have to admit, that our team rocks...because us Johnson girls are pretty damn awesome...and we're competitive...we will do anything it takes to win. We are actually trying to put together a team of all the Johnson girls to go over to Torino, Italy to play in the World Master Games in 2013...I think that would just be awesome...playing against teams from around the world with my sisters...I can't wait!!!
9. I love March!!! And it truly is only because of March Madness...I'm talking the single best sporting event to watch of the year!! Forget the NFL, NBA, NHL...NCAA March Madness is where my heart truly lies!!! It is true madness and I love it...so many upsets, so many incredible games, so much blood, guts and most of all...heart being left on the hardwood...it truly is a magical time for me...Duke all the way baby!!!
10. I am a Disney lover...I will go and watch any Disney cartoon that is made...even if I didn't have kids, I would totally be there!!! If I could, I would be at Disneyland every single year...and make no mistake about it...that is on my list of 50 things that I'm going to do. I get giddy when I know that a new cartoon is coming out...I hide it from my kids...but I'm just as excited to go as they are.
11. I love to scrapbook...as most of you probably know already. I've always loved taking pictures, and when I looked back at my pictures I could tell stories about what we were doing, where we were, and why it was important to me to take that picture. When I found scrapbooking...it was just a perfect match for me. What better way is there to record all those memories and pictures...and to make it so beautiful...I love it. I'm so excited to be able to keep all these little tidbits about my kiddos lives as they are growing up, I can't wait for them to look back at my pages when they are grown and remember...that's why I really do it.
12. I am a classically trained pianist...although I haven't played competitively in years and years and years. My piano teacher forced me to choose between piano and basketball when I was in grade 9...and I chose basketball without even stopping to think. I do miss playing piano though, and I find myself tickling the ivories every now and then. I would like to get back to playing more often, I'm actually really glad that I do know how to play. I have to admit...I was a really good pianist...I mean good to the point that I would win all my competition categories...and that other people would drop out if they saw my name in the same competition as them.
13. My best friend is my little sister, Erika...has been since 2000. We decided that we would be best friends when my family was all sitting around one day a couple weeks before I got married. Rachel informed us that none of us was going to be her maid of honour because her best friend would be...and Erika and I looked at each other and said...I don't even have a best friend to do that...and right then and there, we decided that we would be each other's best friend. I love her to pieces...she is the most beautiful, funny, loving girl in the world...I'm so lucky to not only call her my best friend, but my sister.
14. I'm a licensed PT in California...yup...not a lot of good that does me when I'm living in Canada!! Currently I have been waiting for almost 11 months to hear back from the PT Board of Canada about when I can take my licensing exam up here...I cannot wait to be able to actually work here!!!
15. I can honestly say that I am at a point in my life where I am truly happy. I am surrounded by people who love and support me, I am soon going to be able to work as a PT, I'm playing basketball with my sisters, I have my kiddos with me, I'm in love with an absolutely fantastic man...life is great for me right now. I look at myself and am starting to see the beautiful, happy, confident woman that I used to be...I've been looking for her for a long time...and it feels awesome!!!
Well, that's it for the first post...hopefully I'll be back for the next 30 days... ;) We'll see how that works out!!